Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Poker Winnings Hit Record Highs For Online Poker

I went into the weekend with plans of not playing necessarily, and just checking out what has been going on in the poker world. Then it happened. The biggest online poker winnings hand ever. Oh right. It happened last month. My point is it was in my head. A single pot was won at an online poker site supposedly for $723,938.00. When you hear about poker winnings like that you have a tendency to double check your poker winnings at that moment and wonder how you are doing. All poker winnings are equal. They are just poker winnings. However, some poker winnings are more equal than others.

I have had some decent paydays over the years but nothing compared to a $700k poker winnings kind of a day. It is safe to say that I never will because I will never risk that kind of money online. Ever. Safe to say I won't ever have it to risk. I would probably use it for a house instead.

So, with the memory of the greatest poker winnings hand in history fresh in mind I set out to conquer the felt. With visions of gold coins and treasure chests being hauled around by Playboy's Miss October fresh in my head I ran into a set of threes. I had A,K, suited, I put in a nice raise in position on only one remaining player, flopped top two pairs with a harmless looking three and figured I was huge. We all checked through on the flop and I waited to pounce at the turn. My opponent bet out when a 6 hit. I raised, he went all in. I got ready to be sick. I thought about it for quite a while until I realized that he only had a few chips left when he came over me, so I called to see the news.

Funny how that can happen. The poker gods do have a tendency to entertain themselves quite a bit at our expense.

No comments: