Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Online Poker Tournaments: Explore your options


In the continuing saga of trying to duplicate Chris Ferguson's 10 or 20 thousand dollar accomplishment online from nothing, it continues to be a struggle by the way, I have discovered something interesting with the online poker community.


There happens to exist on a couple online poker sites, the opportunity to play a variety of different games. During the boom, you couldn't get me off of the hole em tables. I was making money consistently and I could do it quickly. I only had to sit for a short period of time and I could win more than enough for that session. It was great.


Then something happened. To this day I can't quite explain what it was but it definitely happened. Suddenly I couldn't win a hand anymore. I'm not talking about cold cards. I'm not saying that for a couple days I was getting the bad end of things. I could not win anymore. It didn't matter if I was up against the whole table or just one opponent, it just wasn't happening at all anymore. So, I realized it was time to give it a rest.


I cashed out a chunk of my chips and gave up on online play for a while.


Recently I discovered a rather entertaining trend. On the sites that offer a variety of games, I am able to win once and a while again. That's right, I have started winning again. It is still crazy. The challenge is immense. However, it would seem that with games that aren't as popular as hold em, I seem to have gained a bit of an edge again.


It would seem that with traffic having died down considerably online and hold em still being the most popular game, that if you are a decent player at the other games, you stand a chance of coming out ahead more often than not.


This could be due to more players exploring the other games but not quite knowing how to play yet. Also, a large part of the gamble aspect of hold em seems to diminish in the seven card games. Whatever it is, it is slowly working and seems to help a little in the exploration to duplicate Chris Ferguson's accomplishments. It is still not easy and I am a long way away from victory, but I have started along the path. If you are looking to expand your opportunities with online poker, you may want to explore what some of the other games have to offer.


Best of luck!

No comments: